Weight log

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Fire

So I'm working calmly in my house, and suddenly there is an excited voice outside my house, "Excuse me sir, there is a fire!" I am wondering what the hell is going on there so I see outside through the window and there is this excited girl in the middle of the street shouting there is a fire. So go outside and look at the house next to mine and indeed it is spewing thick smoke so I call 911. It seems their location system is screwed up since the woman asked me for the address thrice. By the time the fire trucks reached here, just another 5 or so minutes, the fire had gotten worse. It seemed to take them an eternity to get all the pipes around and they still hadn't started any fighting business and by then you could actually see flames shooting out of the house.
It took them around 7 hours to get things out. It was amazing watching them in action. The main truck had an extensible boom with 3 jets that were remotely controlled. They seemed to be obscenely powerful. When the first jet hit the roof it knocked it right off and parts of the roof sailed flaming down. The whole place seemed like a flood.

I had no idea a house fire could be this bad. When they reduced the fire from one side, it seemed to come ou the other. There was one truck randomly spraying water around. Possibly to keep the sparks down. Outside it seemed like rain on a clear day.

They said they'll be around until morning to make sure it doesn't flare up again.

No comments: